Did you know the average adult needs seven to nine hours of sleep per night? According to the CDC, 35.2% of all adults in the U.S. report getting less than the recommended amount of sleep, and almost half of all Americans report feeling sleepy during the day.
Many Americans are sleep deprived and are unaware of it and feel the negative effects of insufficient sleep.
Negative Effects of Sleep Deprivation
- Memory loss: Lack of sleep can lead to memory loss. During sleep the brain forms connections that help the processes of retaining memory.
- Trouble Concentrating: Without adequate sleep the brain has a harder time concentrating and your ability to problem solve is greatly reduced.
- Mood Changes: Mood changes can occur from a lack of sleep. You may feel emotional or quick-tempered due to a lack of sleep.
- Decline in overall health: Sleep deprivation can contribute to high blood pressure, weight gain, diabetes, heart disease, and a weakened immunity.
Tips to Get 7-9 Hours of Sleep a Night
Getting adequate sleep can be difficult. There are many things that you can do to improve your sleep habits and get closer to achieving 7-9 hours of sleep per night.
- Go to sleep and wake up around the same time everyday
- Exercise regularly
- Minimize phone and screen use before bed
- Engage in relaxing activities before bed
- Try to eliminate naps during the day
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol before bed
Sleep is vital for our bodies and brain so it is important to make sleep a priority. Put your health first and try some of these tips to improve your sleep.
Regular exercise can improve your sleep significantly! Talk to GYMGUYZ Williamsburg about working with one of our in-home personal trainers for help making fitness part of your routine. Your first session is free!