Diet plays a large role in Heart Health. Although eating certain foods can increase your heart disease risk, changing your diet is often tough. Whether you have been eating unhealthy for years or you want to clean up your diet, here are some heart-healthy diet tips. Once you know which foods to eat more of and which foods to limit, you'll be on your way toward a heart-healthy diet.
Tips For Heart-Healthy Diet
- Control your portion sizes
- Use smaller plates or bowls to control portions
- Eat more low-calorie foods like vegetables
- Eat More Vegetables and fruit
- Fruits and vegetables are a great source of vitamins and minerals good for your heart
- Fruits contain substances that may help prevent cardiovascular disease
- Select whole grains
- Whole grains are high in fiber and can help regulate blood pressure
- Limit unhealthy fats
- Avoid Trans fats as they are high in cholesterol which can lead to coronary artery disease
- Reduce salt intake
- Salt can increase blood pressure
Start with you
A Healthy Heart starts with you making a change. Starting small and implementing these steps will make your journey to a healthy heart much easier. Let's start one calorie at a time!