Tips to protect yourself from the sun this summer.
The summer heat is upon us and it is essential to protect ourselves from the heat. Heat-related illnesses affect thousands of people per year and they’re all preventable by taking the proper steps before going out.
Overexposure to direct sunlight can lead to Sunburn, Skin cancer, and early skin aging. We can do to protect ourselves from harmful UV rays by preparing before we go out. Here are a few tips.
- Wear sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or greater
- Between 10:00 am - 4:00 pm are when the sun's rays are most intense. Try to spend minimal time in the sun during the warmest parts of the day.
- Apply Sunscreen before we go out and apply more while we are in the sun
- Cover skin with clothing when possible (Light colored long sleeves, lightweight pants)
You must still monitor your time in the sun even when using these tips. damage our skin from over-exposure. High-risk individuals should take extra precautions in the sun to reduce the chance of skin damage.
Drink more water
Staying hydrated is very important. Being adequately hydrated is essential for regulating body temperature in the summer heat. You will begin to overheat quickly when you become dehydrated because you stop sweating. To ensure you stay hydrated you should follow these tips.
- Start drinking water as soon as we wake up
- Avoid too much caffeine (caffeine is a diuretic)
- Eat fruits and vegetables (high contents of water)
- Replenish electrolytes
Although being in the sun is fun, it can be dangerous and if we are not prepared the heat can have very serious effects on our bodies.
Enjoy your summer but don’t let the summer burn you out!