Best Sunscreens for Workouts
The temperatures are rising, and so are your chances of getting a sunburn. Before you hit the grass or the pavement for your next outdoor workout, read up— and then slather up— to make sure you’re protected against soaking up too many harmful rays. When it comes to sunscreen, not all are created equal— especially when it comes down to the need for one that’s sweat and water resistant. Read on for a few of our favorite choices below, and be sure to check out our additional sun protection tips at the bottom of this blog!
Our favorite broad-spectrum sports sunscreens:
Hawaiian Tropic Island Sport SPF 30
- Endorsed by the Skin Cancer Foundation
Neutrogena Wet Skin Spray SPF 30
- Can be applied to wet skin (perfect for days at the beach or if you’re re-applying to a sweaty body)
- Spray formula is easy and quick to apply
- 80 minutes of resistance
Coppertone Sport High Performance SPF 50
- Spray makes for easy application
- Higher 50 SPF protects more than a 30 SPF
Our favorite face sunscreens:
Coppertone Sport Stick
- Perfect for your face— won’t run into your eyes
Sheseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 50
- Again, perfect for your face
- Water-resistant for 80 minutes
- High SPF offers better protection than most
- When using a lotion, be sure to use enough— that is, a full shot glass’ worth of sunscreen. By not using the recommended amount, you’re not getting the full protection that the sunscreen has to offer.
- As frustrating as it can be, don’t forget to apply sunscreen to your face— the delicate skin here is even more susceptible to sun damage than any other part of your body.
- Make sure you use at least 30 SPF— the higher, the better!
More sun protection tips:
We all know how amazing the sunshine feels, and we may not always be able to avoid it. When you do go out into intense sun, be sure to apply sunscreen beforehand; but if you can, work around the sun’s peak times and be sure to also wear a hat, protective clothing, and sunglasses wherever possible. While sunscreen is fantastic at helping to prevent damage, you’re going to need a lot more than just that SPF 30 to block all of the damage that Mr. Sun’s rays can cause.