Making A Difference With Special Needs Training for All Abilities
As one of the largest exercise science service providers in North America, GYMGUYZ offers many enhanced services that enable us to deliver effective exercise programs and life skills tutoring to clients of all abilities, including those with developmental and/or physical disabilities. All NJ GYMGUYZ locations participate in this program.
In the state of New Jersey, exercise programs are available in community class and small group settings (open to all abilities) based on local demand. Life Skills Tutoring sessions are also available via community class and small group settings (open to all abilities), and private 1-on-1 settings. Our individual life skills tutoring programs are customized to the client in order to improve their independence and quality of life. We often provide these services via specialists certified in this area (Special Strong – Adaptive Special Needs Life Skills Instructors).
OUR ADAPTIVE SPECIAL NEEDS LIFE SKILLS INSTRUCTORS
Our Adaptive Special Needs Life Skills Instructors teach life skills to children, adolescents, and adults, many (but not all) with special needs and other disabilities. Our instructors perform a comprehensive task analysis, understand how to develop gross and fine motor skills, and apply beneficial coaching techniques that promote increased independence, confidence, and quality of life through healthy living.
As an example, for those living with autism, life skills tutoring has been proven to increase focus, develop communications skills, improve academic performance, increase safety (preventing injuries and harm), improve daily living activities, teach time management, increase self-esteem, and enhance community-relation skills to gain employment and build confidence.
In fact, in a study of over 700 autism families conducted by Arizona State University, exercise was the number 1 rated treatment overall.
Delivering our enhanced services takes dedication, experience, the proper equipment, effective operational systems, and time-tested processes used to seamlessly work with clients and their families. And we have them all in place. We work within many federal and state programs across the country designed to make healthy life skills readily available to clients of all abilities.
Our services include either tutoring, or class and small group training in the following areas:
- Exercise Science - The study of the bodily movements that contribute to safety, human fitness, holistic wellness and longevity.
- Life Skills - Exercise science, nutritional coaching for making healthy choices, coaching safe movement mechanics for preventing injuries and helping with daily activities, coaching for time management, building confidence, and enhancing communication skills.
- Cognitive Development - Improve cognitive function, enable safer movement capacity, strengthen immune function and lower health care costs, increase self-esteem, build communication skills for employment, improve balance and coordination, increase energy levels, manage stress, and enhance mood.
- Adaptive Fitness - Exercise science tutoring and/or instruction for those with disabilities. The instruction is adapted to the needs of the individual. These sessions might include tutoring on proper strength training, stretching, Yoga, Pilates, core strengthening, and cardiovascular health.
- Yoga - A system of exercises for mental and physical health.
- Pilates - A form of low-impact exercise that aims to strengthen muscles while improving postural alignment and flexibility.
- Sport-specific Training – Sport-specific tutoring is simply the instruction of fitness and performance training designed specifically for the enhancement of athletic performance. This could include tutoring to prepare for competitions such as Special Olympics.
- Nutritional Coaching - Helping clients develop and progress towards their personal wellness goals by empowering them to take responsibility for their own health and nutritional needs.
- Community Classes and Small Group Training - Training and fitness instruction in physical movement designed for classes and small groups. These classes are open to individuals of all abilities.
- Kick-boxing – Instruction and tutoring in a form of martial arts that involves punches and kicks at four contact points; the two hands and feet.
- Senior fitness – Tutoring for enhanced mobility, flexibility, and balance.
- Zumba! – Available in community classes formats only that combine dance and fitness moves.
These services are delivered by caring individuals that include:
- Adaptive Special Needs Life Skills Instructors – This staff member teaches life skills to children, adolescents, and adults with special needs and other disabilities.
- Athletic Trainers -An athletic trainer is a certified and licensed health care professional who practices in the field of sports medicine.
- Recreational Therapists – This staff member delivers a treatment service designed to restore a person’s level of functioning and independence in life activities. Recreational therapists seek to promote health and wellness as well as reduce or eliminate the activity limitations and restriction to participation in life situations caused by an illness or disabling condition,
- Nutritionists – A certified professional highly trained to plan and/or formulate special meals that enhance a client’s health and wellness.
Contact GYMGUYZ today to learn more about our enhanced services.