Recipe of the Week: Sweet Potato & Quinoa Patties
If you’re constantly wondering what else you can do with an ingredient, we’re happy to make it easier on you. And if you love vitamin-rich sweet potato, protein-packed quinoa, or both, you’re in luck, because this recipe is packed with both (so it makes the perfect post-workout meal). And it’s easy to make. Rejoice, my busy health-loving friends.
For a balanced, nutrient-loaded meal, we recommend serving this with a veggie-packed spinach salad. If you’re looking for a more burger-like dish, try adding in some goat cheese, a whole-grain roll and sautéed mushrooms. If you like honey and feel like enjoying something sweeter, it makes a fantastic addition to sweet potatoes as well— let us know what your favorite version is! And even better, you can save these for the next day’s lunch in the rare occasion that you have leftovers. This recipe makes about 12 patties, which is great for about 4 people for a meal.
What You’ll Need:
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped thyme + more for garnishing
- 1 tbsp. EVOO
- Sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Coconut oil
How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and pierce sweet potatoes with a fork; bake about 45 minutes or until soft. Remove the skins and mash until smooth.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions while sweet potatoes are in the oven.
- Sauté onions in olive oil over medium heat until translucent. Add in garlic, cook for a minute, then add in thyme. Mix well and remove from heat.
- Combine onions, quinoa and sweet potatoes plus sea salt and cracked pepper in large mixing bowl.
- Make golf-ball sized balls with the mixture and then flatten.
- Heat coconut oil in pan and fry the patties for about 2 minutes on each side (until brown).
- Garnish with more thyme and enjoy!