3 Moves to Help Burn Off Those Holiday Treats
Time is our most valuable resource— and that’s why we’re huge fans of maximizing it, no matter what the time crunch. Throughout the holiday season, we tend to consume more calories, especially in sugar, than we would during other times of the year; and with the chaos of shopping and cooking and myriad other things, it can be hard to commit time to burning those extra calories off. Not to worry, we have a solution— grab your timer, and get started with these 3 moves that will get your heart rate up and burn off a few extra calories (because during the holidays, a calorie burned is a calorie earned!).
45-60 seconds per exercise, 3 sets of each.
Move 1: Burpees
- Start in a standing position.
- Bend down into a squatting position, with your hands firmly on the floor.
- Kick your feet back so that your body is at the top of a push-up position.
- Lower your body down to the floor to do a push-up.
- Hop your feet back forward into your squatting position, jump up into a standing position, and clap your hands above your head (you can also use dumbbells if you are comfortable with doing so, but instead of clapping, raise them up above your head with your arms parallel to each other).
- Do this for 60 seconds and then move onto Squats!
Move 2: Squats (and if you need an extra weight, grab a kettlebell or a few cans of soup or a 3 liter bottle of water also works!).
- Start with your feet shoulder-width apart, back straight, head facing forward.
- Sit back and down (as if there’s a chair under you), being careful not to let them go past your toes; keeping most of your weight in your heels.
- Push back up through your heels and straighten your back and legs.
- Do this for 60 seconds and then move onto Mountain Climbers!
Move 2: Mountain Climbers
- Start in a high plank position with your core muscles engaged and back straight.
- Keeping this form, bring one knee up and in towards your chest.
- Once you’ve brought your knee in as far as you can, hold the position for a moment before returning your foot next to the other.
- Repeat on the opposite leg.
- Do this for 60 seconds and then take a 2-3 minute break and repeat set 2 more times!