Cold weather doesn’t have to be miserable— we all deserve to come inside from the freezing temperatures and enjoy something to warm us up. And what screams winter louder than a steaming mug of cocoa? Believe it or not, there are ways to make it healthy (AND delicious). Read on for your new favorite warm-up, and a few ingredients to toss in to dress it up a bit!
What you’ll need:
We’ll start with three simple ingredients:
- 1 c + 1 tbsp almond milk
- 2 ½ tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp organic cane sugar
Add-ins (choose one or all!):
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract OR
- ¼ tsp peppermint extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon OR
- ½ tsp sea salt OR
- Orange zest (a few strips of orange rind)
How to make:
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup of almond milk on medium-low, keeping an eye on it— don’t let it boil!
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients until they form a paste.
- Whisk this mix into the heating milk until thoroughly combined.
- If using add-ins:
- Stir in vanilla or sea salt at the end
- If using cinnamon, we recommend sprinkling a bit over the top!
- Allow orange zest to steep in the cocoa while it cooks. Yum!
- Pour into a mug, allow to cool, and enjoy!