Recipe of the Week: Healthy Hot Cocoa
Cold weather doesn’t have to be miserable— we all deserve to come inside from the freezing temperatures and enjoy something to warm us up. And what screams winter louder than a steaming mug of cocoa? Believe it or not, there are ways to make it healthy (AND delicious). Read on for your new favorite warm-up, and a few ingredients to toss in to dress it up a bit!
What you’ll need:
We’ll start with three simple ingredients:
- 1 c + 1 tbsp almond milk
- 2 ½ tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp organic cane sugar
Add-ins (choose one or all!):
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract OR
- ¼ tsp peppermint extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon OR
- ½ tsp sea salt OR
- Orange zest (a few strips of orange rind)
How to make:
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup of almond milk on medium-low, keeping an eye on it— don’t let it boil!
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients until they form a paste.
- Whisk this mix into the heating milk until thoroughly combined.
- If using add-ins:
- Stir in vanilla or sea salt at the end
- If using cinnamon, we recommend sprinkling a bit over the top!
- Allow orange zest to steep in the cocoa while it cooks. Yum!
- Pour into a mug, allow to cool, and enjoy!