Recipe of the Week: Broccoli Tots
We can’t all be like Napoleon Dynamite, pulling delicious tots out of our pockets at our leisure when the hunger pangs hit. But that’s okay, because tots might not be the healthiest choice. However, we have found a solution. These broccoli tots are healthy and delicious, and while we don’t recommend pulling them out of your pocket (we think ketchup might be a better garnish than lint) you can pull them right out of the oven and enjoy them in almost no time at all.
What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups of uncooked broccoli— can be fresh or frozen
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 c. diced yellow onion
- 1/3 c. cheddar cheese
- 1/3 c. Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 c. Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp. parsley, cilantro, or rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
How To Make:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Boil water and blanch broccoli for one minute, remove and run under cold water.
- Chop the broccoli into fine pieces and place in bowl.
- Mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Form broccoli mixture into small tot-shaped bites by hand or use a piping bag, cutting into tots after squeezed out.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 18-24 minutes (until crispy). Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy! Makes 20 tots (we recommend doubling the recipe for more snacking opportunities later on).
*Recipe and photo adopted from http://gimmedelicious.com/2015/05/17/healthy-baked-broccoli-tots/.