Game plans are great. We like to make game plans for everything— workouts, vacations, projects, and especially holidays. So what better way to prepare for Thanksgiving than to have a game plan for what you’re going to do with the leftovers? Leftover Thanksgiving turkey is probably the most exciting leftover food you’ll get your hands on all year long— use it wisely. Like in this turkey and wild rice soup, perfect for those chilly days you’re sure to encounter. You’re welcome.
What you’ll need:
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1.5 c chopped onion
- 1 c diced carrot
- 2 c chopped celery
- ¾ c uncooked wild rice
- 8 c turkey broth
- ½ tsp ground sage
- ½ tsp rosemary
- ¼ tsp marjoram
- ½ tsp celery salt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz shredded turkey
- Optional: Add in a package of spinach at the end and allow to wilt for added nutrients!
What to do:
- Sauté garlic and onions until they start to brown a bit
- Add in carrots and celery and cook for a minute
- Add in broth, herbs, and wild rice
- Simmer over medium-low for about 35 minutes
- Add in turkey, salt, and pepper and heat throughout.
- Add additional seasonings to taste