Recipe Of The Week: Eggplant Meatballs
While we wouldn’t call traditional meatballs unhealthy, sometimes you just want a lighter option to accommodate your pasta dish (or simply smother in a good sauce). Who said comfort food has to be unhealthy? These eggplant “meatballs” are light but filling, and they’re lower in calories than their meaty alternative. Serve with zucchini noodles or whole-wheat pasta for a nutrient-loaded meal!
What You’ll Need:
- Cooking spray
- ½ tbsp EVOO
- 1 ¼ lbs. eggplant, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- 1 ½ c seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 oz. romano cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley
- Basil leaves (for garnishing)
How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a large, rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat EVOO in large skillet over high. Add eggplant cubes and ¼ c. water. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook until tender, stirring occasionally. (about 12 minutes).
- Place eggplant into a food processor and pulse a few times, then transfer to a bowl.
- Add chopped basil, parsley, garlic, romano, breadcrumbs, ½ tsp. salt, ⅛ tsp. pepper, and egg into the bowl and mix.
- Roll mixture into 24 balls and place on baking sheet. Bake about 25 minutes (until browned).
- Heat sauce in a deep skillet and add meatballs. Cook about 5 minutes, then serve with basil leaves.