Most of us are at work, at a desk, for 8+ hours a day. That’s a long time to go without having some sort of plan in place when it comes to eating. Most of us, have our usual go-to snacks/ vices/ or, even worse, candy drawer— that we have to come to terms with when trying to eat clean. It may seem daunting, and for all practical purposes, it is. This is your work routine, what you do to get you through your day and now you’re shaking it up. This is where you have to remember that change is good. So, how can you effectively stick your NYE resolutions even with the temptation of sugary, carby goodness is at your workplace? We’ll tell you.
- Come prepared. Don’t set yourself up for failure. Plan ahead of time what your snacks, beverages and lunch will be for the day and bring them with you. This means you will have to make time for meal preparation and planning. While this may seem challenging, it should also make you feel empowered; you’re giving yourself the best chance to stick to your new diet/ healthy eating lifestyle. You got this!
- Opt for lean protein, always. The worst thing you can do for yourself is to snack on something that has no nutritional value. Not only will it leave you feeling unsatisfied, but you’ll probably have a sugarcoated crash not too long after consumption. Choose half of an avocado, nuts and seeds (without salt/sugar/honey), fruits with lower sugar (i.e. not pineapple), chicken, fish, tempeh— you get the picture!
- Drink your water! We can’t say it enough; water is your friend! Whenever you feel like you’re starving, take a big sip of water and ask yourself if you’re bored or if you’re actually hungry.
- Stock up on vegetables. For those who of you who are doing paleo, you might feel limited when it comes to food choices. But, if you love vegetables make a large portion of them (I am talking sautéed with garlic and EVOO) and eat to your heart’s content! I use greens such as kale and spinach as the base of many dishes and not only is it good for me, but it also fills me up with body-loving nutrients.
- Snack on the right options. Don’t starve yourself. Nothing good ever comes from that. Instead, select snacks that have higher protein contents and aren’t processed.
It’s truly mind over matter— you can change your lifestyle and eating habits if you want to, but you have to want to. Find creative and fun ways to jazz up fruit, vegetables and other items that might, at first seem blasé. When in doubt, there’s always the internet with endless ideas!