Recipe of the Week: Brussels Sprouts With Turmeric, Cumin and Mustard Seeds
We love sharing dishes that are inherently healthy for you. There are so many ingredients that fly under the radar, and yet they pack a wallop when it comes to nutrient content and the benefits they provide your body. For example, turmeric, a beautiful bright-yellow spice, is actually renowned in the holistic world as a medicine, aiding in treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis, IBS, Cystic Fibrosis, and more. Also, an oil in turmeric called curcumin can help to prevent cancer, lower cholesterol, reduce cardiovascular disease risks, improve the function of your liver, and reduce inflammation. It’s a main ingredient in mustard, but it’s a wonder we don’t sprinkle this miracle spice on more. We’ve looked for a delicious excuse for you to do just that! This tasty recipe for pan-roasted Brussels sprouts with turmeric, cumin and mustard seeds makes the perfect side, and each ingredient on its own is a healthy— making this a hearty and wholesome choice.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 tsp. oil
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1.2 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 2-3 c. Brussels sprouts, halved with the stems removed
- 2 tsp. sesame seeds (more to taste)
- ½ tsp. coriander powder
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ c. water
How to Make:
- Heat oil in skillet over medium.
- Add cumin and mustard seeds and cook until they start to pop.
- Add in garlic and chili pepper, cooking for a minute or so.
- Toss in the Brussels sprouts and sauté until the edges turn golden-brown (about 5 minutes).
- Sprinkle in the sesame seeds, cooking for a minute or so before adding in all other spices.
- Cook another minute or so and add in about ¼ c. water, cover, and let steam for about 8 minutes.
- Taste, add more seasoning if preferred, and serve!
Photo and Recipe adapted from http://www.veganricha.com/2016/04/brussels-sprouts-subzi-indian-spices.html.