Sometimes the carb cravings hit— hard. When it does happen, the best way to solve it is by finding a recipe that incorporates lots of other good things, too. Take this tomato, spinach, and chicken pasta, for instance. It’s got veggies that provide iron and protein, olive oil that provides healthy fats, chicken that supplies protein to help those muscles repair, and carbohydrates from the pasta for energy. It’s perfect for using up the rest of the tomatoes hanging out in your vegetable garden, plus it’s quick (30 minutes from stove to table!) and extremely tasty, so give it a shot the next time you’re feeling something carb-y!
What You’ll Need:
- ¼ c. chopped sundried tomatoes (drained if marinated)
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- ½ lb. chopped boneless & skinless chicken (breast or thigh meat)
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 chopped roma tomatoes
- ¼ c. chopped basil leaves
- 8 oz. fresh spinach
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 oz. angel hair or spaghetti
How to Make:
- Add 2 tbsp. EVOO to a skillet and heat over medium-low; then add in chopped sundried tomatoes.
- Add in the chopped chicken, salt, and red pepper, and cook until the chicken is cooked through (no longer pinkish)— about 5 minutes.
- Add in chopped tomatoes and basil as well as the spinach and garlic; heating over medium until spinach is just barely wilted.
- Remove from heat; taste and season as needed.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions (until al dente) and drain. Add pasta into skillet and mix into chicken and veggies over low.
- Drizzle in a little oil from the sundried tomatoes and serve!
Recipe adapted from http://juliasalbum.com/2016/07/tomato-spinach-chicken-spaghetti/